A new report, published by Illinois Right to Life, documents serious health violations and regulatory loopholes in abortion clinics that endanger women.
The 66-page study exposes negligent policies, faulty implementation, and incompetent practices that allow Illinois’ substandard women’s reproductive health facilities to operate with virtually no oversight.
Just like abortion clinics in Pennsylvania, where Kermit Gosnell’s House of Horrors abortion facility went unmonitored for years, Illinois Right to Life (ILRTL) says that 63% of Illinois clinics open today have not had a health and sanitary inspection in years.
The group points out that 40% of abortion clinics licensed by the state between 2000 and 2014 went between 14 and 17 years without health inspections.
In addition, ILRTL says that Illinois’ five Planned Parenthood centers which perform abortion are not licensed and therefore did not receive health inspections between 2000-2014.
The report states that there were approximately 193 life code and health and sanitary violations found in thirteen abortion clinics in 2011 through 2014.
Some of the health violations documented include:
• No registered nurse was employed.
• Medical personnel were observed retrieving a paper towel from the garbage to cover food trays.
• Reportedly gynecological cannulas were stained with a brown substance.
• Suction machine in the operating room contained clear water with specks of floating debris in it.
• Nine cups with medication in them also contained crumbs.
• Two boxes of Nuva Rings (inserted contraceptive medication) were stored in the refrigerator with a liter of cola.
• The facility failed to ensure a pre-anesthesia evaluation was conducted prior to administration of anesthesia on some patients.
• Biohazard laboratory refrigerator contained fetal tissue alongside medications and food.
Illinois Right to Life says in their report that they reviewed approximately 190 medical malpractice lawsuits filed against abortion clinics and and/or their doctors between 1978 and 2014.
Examples of just some of what they found are included in the images below:
One such case involved the death of 24 year-old Tonya Reaves after her abortion at a Chicago Planned Parenthood.
Emily Zender, Executive Director of Illinois Right to Life, who published the report says the state is failing women,“If you support legalized abortion, you also support protecting the safety of women who choose to have abortions.”
“Dangerous, unsanitary clinic conditions and unlicensed surgical facilities are unacceptable under any circumstances. The State of Illinois has failed women. Refusal to immediately enact reform abandons women to the prospect of unsterile surgical tools, dirty operating rooms, and inadequate medical attention, ” she said.
You can read the full report: Illinois Department of Public Health puts Women’s Health at Risk – here.